Domain registration is the process of acquiring a domain name from a domain name registrar.
If you like to see your business online on the web, you will need to register your domain name first. You can register top level domains (TLD’s) with .com, .net, .org, .info, .in, .co.in and so on. The most popular is .com which is easy to remember and type in any browser. These days getting a good .com domain is tough as usually most of the people or companies have registered good names for their domains with .com extension.
How do you select the best domain name?
- When you first begin your domain name search, it helps to have 5 terms or phrases in mind that best describe the domain you’re seeking. Once you have this list, you can start to pair them or add prefixes & suffixes to create good domain ideas.
- Having your website confused with a popular site already owned by someone else is a recipe for disaster. Thus, I never choose domains that are simply the plural, hyphenated or misspelled version of an already established domain.
- If you’re not concerned with type-in traffic, branding or name recognition, you don’t need to worry about this one. However, if you’re at all serious about building a successful website over the long-term, you should be worried about all of these elements, and while directing traffic to a .net or .org (as SEOmoz does) is fine, owning and 301’ing the .com is critical.
- If a domain name requires considerable attention to type correctly, due to spelling, length or the use of un-memorable words or sounds, you’ve lost a good portion of your branding and marketing value.
- Short names are easy to type and easy to remember (the previous two rules). They also allow for more characters in the URL in the SERPs and a better fit on business cards and other offline media.
How much domain registration costs you?
- Registering a new domain name is easy and costs only $13 / Rs 900
- Renewing an existing domain name costs $15 / Rs 1400
- Transferring an existing domain name costs $15 / Rs 1400
What do you get?
- You get 1 year of domain name registration for your business or personal website.
What else do i need after registering a domain name?